Friday, January 8, 2010

Standing in Awe

Stand in awe of God....this is one chapter that speaks to me much this morning.

Ecclesiastes 6
Stand in Awe of God
 1 Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong.


 2 Do not be quick with your mouth,
       do not be hasty in your heart
       to utter anything before God.
       God is in heaven
       and you are on earth,
       so let your words be few.
 3 As a dream comes when there are many cares,
       so the speech of a fool when there are many words.

 4 When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. 5 It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. 6 Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands? 7 Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.

When you come to the house of God, when you go to a place of worship, be it in churches or in cell groups, what is your first intention? Are your actions consecrated? Some people walk into the house of God, or a place of worship merely to boast their voices, their talents, their wealth, riches, their clothes, or status? Perhaps some go with an intention to get attention. So it doesn't mean when you are going to church, to serve to sacrifice, you are a step closer to God. No! The church is a place not only for us to serve, but to truly worship, and to listen to God. To hear from Him. See, the bible says, don't step into church like fools to simply just offer something. Go to expect God, to receive and to learn. To listen. God speaks to those who listen. A lot of time we are too proud about what we can offer. Friends, going to church is not merely about position or what you can give, or offer. If that is so, you can even do that in the world out there. You come to the house of God to be refreshed, to hear a word of revelation from God, to recharge, to draw nearer to Him. Come with the right intentions.

The passage goes on in talking about saying the right things with God. Don't be quick and hasty in your words. Don't be too quick to make vows that you cannot fulfill. This is something very true to me. A lot of times, people say it is okay to be upset, to throw tantrums at God etc? That you need to come before God real! I agree with coming before God real, but I do not believe in throwing tantrums or being angry at Him. See, I find reverence with God is like reverence we have for our leaders and pastors. If we are able to speak with respect to man of God, all the more we should do that with God. Yes, when I am upset, I tell God, I am upset, I tell Him exactly how I feel, but eversince I learned to draw closer to God, I am very careful with the words and promises I made to Him. I do not just do it for fun, or just say something nice for the moment to make Him happy. God doesn't need that. God needs genuineity. You see, the author was right. God needn't have to be angry or destroy the work of your hands. But God always honors His words. So the same, He takes promises to Him seriously.

Many times I hear people telling me, God told me this...and I promised Him I will fulfill His mission for me. Or that God told me not to do this, and I promised God I will guard my emotions and not get carried away in future. But many a times, I saw these promises being broken. Do they really take the promises to God seriously? It makes me wonder. Don't promise if you cannot fulfill it. Why do you even want to do that? Did God force you to? No....You wanted to promise God, so you have to make sure you keep it. See, with my campus outreach it was the same. I promised God I will run this vision given to me no matter what. Even when it means facing a lot of persecutions, circumstances, and barriers. Was I discouraged? Yes! Have I felt like giving up? Many times! But because I knew it is a promise from me to God, I cannot let it go. I will keep doing it. Until God tells me to stop. It is my promise to Him. I promised God to serve my leaders till the end of my days...without ulterior motives. I hope that I am able to fulfill it till the day I die, or at least till the time God change my course of directions. 

So, friends, don't be hasty! Not in your promises nor your expressions. My  principles are, when I am upset, I tell God I am upset. I told Him what I went through, I cry in front of Him. I complain to Him. He is my best friend. But never have I once (Ok...maybe when I was a younger Christian) said things that intended to hurt God, such as blaming Him for everything, hating Him, cursing Him...or even throw tantrums at Him. It is good to be real with how you feel, but it is another to disrespect. There should always be a sense of reverence when we come to God. That is why the bible says, stand in awe...in His presence! Stand in respect, in reverence, in honor...in fear! We can be honest with God, but be careful with Your words with God. Like how you do not want to hurt the person you love, you should do the same, even more to God. I get upset when I hear people blaming God and saying nasty things about Him. Be careful with your words....when you are before the King =)


that's my thought for the day! 


Much love...


No comments:

Post a Comment